I was asked by Pets at Home to share some tips on how to prevent travel sickness for animals this summer, so that is going to be what today's blog post is going to be all about. These tips are so helpful and work really great!
Although many pets are seasoned travellers, some can suffer from travel sickness - particularly on long journeys. If you're travelling with your pet for the first time, watch out for excessive drooling, panting, swallowing or licking-lips, and retching or vomiting. Your pet may also start to tremble and show other signs of restlessness or anxiety. To make the journey a happy one for your pet, here are some ways to prevent any discomfort:
- 1. Before you travel spend some time getting your pet used to the idea of it. Make sure your pet is comfortable with being in their carrier - try feeding your pet in there from time to time, and put their favourite blanket or toy inside. Introduce puppies to the car gradually from an early age, so they associate it with good experiences, such as walks.
- 2. Special pheromone sprays and collars can help to alleviate travel stress. Spraying Adaptil (for dogs) and Feliway (for cats) in your pet's carrier or on a blanket a few times before you travel will make them feel more relaxed and less stressed.
- 3. Do not feed your pet immediately before travel 0 having a empty stomach will make them less likely to vomit. Give them plenty of water, though, to keep them hydrated and help to settle their stomach.
- 4. Some pets can start feeling unsettled very early on so always take frequent rest breaks. Get to know your pet's needs and stop at least every hour or two, so that you can both stretch your legs.
More Advice :
- Create a quiet, calm atmosphere, with no sudden noises, and allow fresh air into the car.
- Keep them secure by using a seat belt or a carrier. It could also save their life in the event of an accident.
- If your pet continues to get travel sick, speak to your vet about medication.
I really hope these tips help you all out! Don't forget to check the Pets at Home Website for more summer pet care tips and tricks!
Alisha Valerie. x
Did you know I have a giveaway on my twitter right now to win over £50+ worth of Kiehl's beauty products? ✨ Click here to enter! ✨
[Disclaimer: Thank you to Pets at Home for sponsoring me for this blog post.]