These sweet and sticky hot cross buns use Shaken Udder Salted Caramel Milkshake* instead of milk and chocolate chips in place of raisins to create a luxurious take on an Easter classic!
Makes: 10 Prepare: 1 ½ hours Cook: 12 minutes
|| WHAT YOU NEED ||
- 500g pack white bread mix
- 50g butter
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 200ml Shaken Udder Salted Caramel Milkshake
- 100ml water
- 100ml milk
- 1 large egg
For the crosses & decoration:
- 3 tbsps plain flour 2 tbsps water
- Golden syrup, melted, for brushing
|| WHAT TO DO ||
- Tip the bread mix into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Rub in the butter with your fingertips, then add the chocolate chips.
- In a measuring jug, pour in the milkshake and water, then beat in the egg and transfer onto the dried ingredients. Mix to a very moist dough (the wetter the better).
- Leave for 5 minutes then cut into 10 equal pieces and roughly shape into buns with oiled hands (this helps to stop the mixture sticking too much – try not to use extra flour as it will toughen the dough).
- Space the buns apart on 2 greased baking sheets and cover loosely with cling film. Leave the buns in a warm room until they've risen to about half the size again (this will take anything from 45 minutes to 1¼ hours, depending on how warm and moist the environment is).
- When the buns have risen, heat the oven to 220ºC/fan 200ºC/Gas Mark 7 and make the crosses. Mix the flour with the water to make a paste. Pour into a plastic food bag and make a tiny nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on each bun. 6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden. Brush with golden syrup. The buns will keep fresh for a day, and after that are best toasted.
[Cook's Tip] Using a pre-prepared white bread mix cuts down on the time factor, but still produces delicious results.
Shaken Udder Salted Caramel Milkshake is available in 330ml bottles from Tesco, Waitrose and Ocado. For more information visit their website by clicking here.
With love, Alisha Valerie. x